Total View-Count

Friday, May 2, 2014

The Amazing קובי אוז

The other day we went to an amazing private performance by Kobi Oz. It was part of our meeting with the URJ Board and needless to say, it was BODACIOUS. Kobi Oz is an incredibly well known Israeli rock musician that was part of the famous Teapacks until 2008. Since then he has continued and grown as a solo artist for the most part. Kobi's music cannot be defined by one specific kind of genre or theme. Some songs have a much more Tunisian feel to them because of his background from where his family is from. In addition to that, some are very emotional and others are more just silly Israeli fun. Either way, Kobi Oz has a wide variety of great music that appeals to all different kinds of people.

Although specifically, the song that had the biggest impact on me during the concert was "Push the Button." The song was essentially about how Israel does not like when surrounding Arab countries fire missles on the Jews (this is where the pushing buttons idea comes from). The song was really edgy. And when in the end Kobi makes the joke about how Israel will eventually "push the button" back, it caught many people off gaurd.

What I liked so much about the performance was that it was a true taste of Am Yisrael's culture. This kind of dark humor is not as popular in the US and it has become something that I've started to appreciate as the semester goes on. This experience as a whole helps me realize that I am one of the most educated American Reform Jews regarding Israel right now (it's a specific title but it is still important to recognize). These sorts of things I have learned so far will be the stuff I want to bring home and show to everyone when I get home. Am Yisael carries a truly rare and different culture that I don't believe you can experience anywhere else.

2 comments:

  1. I think that one of my favorite parts of the concert was watching you dance! I agree with you when you say that one of the most impactful parts was the Push the Button song. Its so unbelievable, in a good way, to me that Israeli's can just joke about these kinds of things and I completely agree when you say it caught people off guard. I don't think it caught EIE off guard but it definitely caught the URJ board members off guard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Jamie Lief's post and I broke my computer so this is my post: I also wrote my blog on this and how it so different from American culture how often Israelis use dark humor. I loved when he made a Holocaust joke in the middle of one of his songs and all the URJ board was so shocked while we just laughed. My mom also said she had no idea that this was a characteristic until I wrote my blog. It is very interesting to live in a society where it so prevalent.

    -Jamie Lief

    ReplyDelete